Friday, May 7, 2010

a bit of this, a bit of that

It's officially half way through the first quarter, and I'm wondering why people like quarters better than semesters. I went from allll semesters schools (High school + GSU) to alll quarter school (presently enrolled). Yes, quarters are shorter than semesters, but you have WAY less time to learn the same amount of information. I guess in some ways it just makes me study hard and fast, so I suppose it's not necessarily a bad thing, annoying for sure though.

With the dawn of mid-quarter came much discussion on clinicals. My hope is to get Emory Midtown, Dekalb Medical, and Northside Forsyth (but for some reason my school is telling me that they are in the process of reaffiliation w/ them, so it's looking like I probably won't get it). Anywho. I thought I wanted to try peds, but apparently there is a lot of ppl in my class that want those hospitals for clinical, so I'm just probably going to back off of it. The most important thing is that I get clinical in Emory Midtown because 1. It's a teaching hospital (Emory University) 2. It's less than 8 blocks from where I live. 3. Getting placed at Emory Midtown means that you either are smart, or bribed the professor with food.

Sooo, the clinical director came into our class yesterday to gather our home addresses so he could start thinking about where to place us. We haven't had him as a professor yet, it's just been Shawty (Program director) teaching us. The clinical director is a hard ass, and doesn't deal with stupid people very well (as far as I can tell). My only run in with him was when I came to speak to someone at our school when I first got interested in RT. He was weird, very very weird, but after setting aside his aversion to social norms, I realized that this guy is very smart and can teach us a lot. I think I'm going to call him Jolly, because he's anything but that.

Back to the story, Jolly came into our "newbie" class to scare the bejesus out of all of us. He said that on day 1 of the next quarter he will give us a test for pharmacology drugs that is 10 questions, and that no one can get into clinicals without passing it. Apparently most people don't pass it on the first try. At least he gives you two chances to pass it. I'm slightly worried, but as long as I keep reviewing the drugs over and over and over while we are on break, I shouldn't be too bad. Anyway, I'm kind of frightened of him, but not enough for him to use it to his advantage.

OOOK, well enough of rambling. I'm going to get back to the Hb saturation curve. It's going to be SO much fun!!! Yayh for spending all day Friday studying!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment