Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Start

Well, I've officially been underway with my prereq classes for a week now. I only have four mandatory classes that have to be finished before I can apply to the Res program (A&P, Physics, A&P 2, and Microbio). Right now I'm taking A&P and Physics. I am used to the semester system, so moving from that to a quarter system is going to take a bit of getting used to. It's already moving 3x as fast. The material isn't necessarily hard, but I just have a shorter amount of time to learn it in. I already have a test in A&P next Monday.

I have met about 6 people that are going for the 25 slots in the Respiratory program. I'm sure that there are already about 2 or 3 people that are already in the slots for next March. I am just hoping that I can get these classes done by the end of the summer so I will have a better chance at getting in. The longer that I wait to finish, the less chance I have at being considered. A good number of the potential res therapy people are in my classes already. We've all kind of grouped up, which is good to know that these people are going to be with me in the program next March.
I've picked up on a little bit of competition among the A&P students already, which is naturally good for the production of good test results. My aim on Monday is to be in the top 10% of the class. I think that I'm very capable of that. Just have to study a lot... more.

The drive to school is not too terrible. I'm going against traffic, and I try not to leave anytime close to rush hour. I don't know how well I'll fair next quarter, but for right now it's only about a 30min drive. I'm scared of the gas prices for the summer, because I drive a gas guzzler. We shall see how that turns out...

Right now I'm very happy with the decision I made. I wish that I had the sense to do this right when I got out of HS, but I thought that University was really the right direction for me. It took a recession and a lack of goals to put me where I am today. I made a few mistakes, but what I've learned from them has put me in a better position.

The campus is a whole lot different than what I'm used to. It reminds me of the smaller community college I went to right after I graduated High School, except it's a little less (what's the word...) refined? Maybe I'm just too much of a snob, but I don't find spit cups or inappropriate language interesting. I won't have to deal with that aspect too much once I get into the Res program, so I will just deal with it now.

I'm off to Physics class!

1 comment:

  1. awesome. see thats what I wanna hear. im so glad you have that drive again and are doing something you already can tell you will like. cant wait till you get accepted and begin your journey forward :-)

    ReplyDelete