Thursday, March 10, 2011

endings and beginnings

Endings: Finally, after ten months of wavering, I stood up for myself and made a decision that would affect the rest of my life. Obviously it was the best choice, but I couldn't see that at the time. Sorry to be vague. Remember that ex that was toxic and dumped me right after my final exams over the phone last June? Yeah. I put that all behind me now. Anyway, I'm just writing this to give myself kudos. Toot that horn. Give myself props for choosing not to be miserable the rest of my life.

Beginnings: I started writing my resume this week!! I tried to research how a student should format their resume, but there aren't too many examples out there. Once I get mine finished I'm going to post it up on the blog. Probably still going to keep my name/clinical site out of it for various reasons, but hopefully it will be of some guidance for students trying to get out there and nab a job.

I'm "officially" on break for 2 weeks, but I have a lot to get done in the next few days and I'll probably go to clinical over the break. I've found that I get insanely bored if left to my own devices after a few days of relaxing. I honestly do need a vacation soon, but I'm kind of waiting until after I'm CRT, RRT, AND have a job before being a beach bum for a week. I just recently purchased a ticket to France in September with a rebate. Right now it's looking like I'm going off into the abyss solo on this one. I don't think it would be all that bad to just throw on a backpack and catch some trains.

So, I'm basically as single as one can be. One is the loneliest number? Perhaps if you are sitting around all by yourself thinking about it all the time. I can't say that I'm all too worried about it.

Ok, so here's a really funny story that happened a few weeks ago while I was at clinical. I was taking care of a patient that had xyz problems. The resident had mentioned to me that they were taking the patient on a sedation vacation for a few hours to assess if all the screws were bolted together upstairs. I guess I wasn't listening when he mentioned this. So here I am in the patients room, noodling around and about to give the patient an MDI treatment though the vent circut. The patient was trached too, so I was up close to their head. I was wrestling to get the mdi port opened up, all the while my tongue sticking out (possibly looking like Pee Wee Herman), when the patient opened their eyes with me being maybe TWO inches from their face. You know what I did? I smiled, and touched their nose with my finger and said, "Boop. Good morning sunshine." I don't know where that really came from, but I did some eye contact for a second. I doubt it really had any bearing on memories. I did get to brush their hair, and clean up some dried secretions around their mouth before I left the room. The patient died two days later, and I hope I was at least a little brightness to the cold world that the hospital can be sometimes. I may be kind of silly sometimes, but I really do care for the patients. Period.

Anywho. It's 9p.m. and it's mah bed time. Good night kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment