Thursday, April 3, 2014

sick

Strange to think of it this way, but...

Please learn to work in a hospital while you are sick. Just go ahead and accept that. I'm not joking. I have learned over the last few years of work that calling in sick/out for family/life issues will cost you dearly. I'm not saying this from a bitter perspective; rather one to help new grads/new hires realize where they sit in the caste system of your department. The punishment will come in several different manifestations, but the end result will be the same; emotionally draining. Because, honestly, we don't get enough of that as is. I've put together a list of things to help you as a newbie, that I've had to learn the hard way:

1. Learn your attendance policy backward, forward, and every space in between. Seriously, look it up, print it out, and know what is expected of you.

2. Get the flu shot. Period. Don't even argue on it.

3. Find someone at work to be your go-to for switching shifts. I've saved myself a few sick days just merely asking a co-worker to switch and give me an extra day to rest when I'm sick.

4. IF you are throwing up, running a raging temp, coughing up phlegm buckets, or have a hemorrhagic viral infection ( ie, Ebola), do not go to work, and do not let anyone make you feel bad for calling out. Remember that you are involved in direct patient contact, and any of your harmful germs could really push a very ill patient over the edge.

5. Stay on top of getting your licence renewed. CEU's creep up on you reaaaaally fast when they are due.

6. Get a reliable car, but make sure it's with in your means.

7. Zyrtec in the spring, airborne in the fall.

8. Yoga/meditation for your mental health. That's very important too.


Switching subjects, because I'm so great at that...

I'm actually enjoying my new shift. It's not a huge change (right now I work from 3-11pm, and 11am-11pm), but it really makes a big difference: 11am-7pm. I'm in love. I still get to sleep in, and also leave work at an earlier hour so I can work out/get groceries/socialize with normal people.

It can sometimes require a lot of flexibility. I spent the first four hours helping out coworkers cover lunch and/or recovering the CABG/heart patients that roll out of surgery and then I pick up an assignment at 3pm to cover the Q4 vent checks in an ICU until the night shift crew rolls in. Sometimes I find myself not really getting a break in all of the switches, but I generally am in a much better mood since it means I get to leave early.

This summer is going to bitter sweet when it comes to work. A few of my favorite co-workers are finishing up their masters degrees and will be out on the hunt for new jobs. I'm really happy for them with all of their new opportunities, but I am sad that I won't have my good friends to joke around with anymore. Like I said, bitter sweet.

Anywho. This pollen is raping my face yet again. Spring time is killing me right now.

One last little fun bit.... One of the attendings at work dropped this one-liner that had me in stitches. "How about you get the orders from your BRAIN".

No comments:

Post a Comment